Saturday 12 February 2011: Round-Up


Barnham were shocked by the death in a car crash of their player Lawrence Stevens and Ifield Edwards offer their sincere condolences to Lawrence’s family and to the club. The accident led to the postponement of Barnham’s match with Sidlesham whilst leaders Dorking Wanderers’ game at Forest was ruled out by a waterlogged pitch. Behind the inactive leading pair several changes took place.

Hurstpierpoint climbed into the runners up spot with a comprehensive 4–0 defeat of Rottingdean Village. Ben Lusk set Hurst on their way a couple of minutes before the interval and he added another goal after 72 minutes. Ben Hall also hit a double, netting on 65 and 78 minutes. Newhaven are level on points with Hurstpierpoint and did their goal difference a power of good with a 6–0 trouncing of Saltdean United. Lee Robinson scored a hat trick, his first just before the break doubling the lead given to the Dockers by Luke Duchossoy after 26 minutes. Darren Flynn struck twice in three minutes either side of the hour mark for 4–0 before Robinson completed his tally with goals on 79 and 89 minutes. Bosham improved their chances of finishing in a promotion place with a 3–2 success against Pease Pottage Village. Two goals in a minute from Pottage’s James Francis and Bradley Miles for Bosham meant no change at 1–1 midway through the first half, but Miles struck again on 32 minutes to put the home side ahead. Tom Tolfrey levelled the scores again three minutes later and parity remained until the death when Kieran Hartley scored Bosham’s very late winner. Haywards Heath Town also stayed in touch thanks to a 2–1 victory over Ferring. Joe Matthews put the visitors ahead after 27 minutes, but Paul Lodge equalised for Heath just two minutes later. Top scorer Murray Coltham earned the win, his goal with twenty minutes remaining taking his personal tally to a dozen. Broadbridge Heath overtook three defeated rivals as they swept past struggling Ifield Edwards with a 4–1 scoreline. Dan Attwater got the first after half an hour and Miles Hamilton made it 2–0 shortly after the interval. Ross Dance pulled a goal back for Ifield after an hour, but ten minutes later Jamal Sultan restored the home side’s two-goal margin. A second from Attwater with two minutes left completed the scoring. TD Shipley conceded their match at Uckfield Town by the odd goal in three. Tom Swancott opener for Uckfield after a quarter of an hour and Michael Booth made it 2–0. Gary Pritchard’s consolation for TD came deep into added time.

Hurstpierpoint's strong run in the Sussex Intermediate Cup foundered at the semi final stage at Cowfold where the West Sussex League Premier Division side triumphed 3-2. Hurst led through Liam Pears after 21 minutes and rounded off with a penalty converted by Aaron Walsh with five minutes to go. In between, however, Cowfold had proved to be the better side and netted three times through Tom Whiting, Dean Robinson and Nigel Smith. It was even closer in the Division Three Challenge Cup second round as TD Shipley and Rottingdean Village were deadlocked at one all after extra time. Gary Pritchard put TD ahead after only 8 minutes but Kris Pover levelled on 19. The teams were not separated over the next 100 minutes before Rottingdean went through 6-5 on penalties.


There were only three games played involving Championship sides and Turners Hill missed the chance to take over top spot when they were surprisingly beaten 4–2 at home by bottom side Uckfield Town II. This was Uckfield’s first points of the season at the thirteenth time of asking. Phoenix United move up to fourth after beating Old Varndeanians II 3–2 at Ewhurst Place, with two from Gerald Manville and one from Chris Williams. Completing a good day for the bottom two sides Franklands Village took full advantage of Ifield Edwards II not having a goalkeeper as they won 9–0 at home.


Handcross Village went out of the Somerville Cup after losing their Second Round tie 4–3 at home to Division Four side Turners Hill II. In the Stratford Cup Third Round Wivelsfield Green won 2–1 at Division Six league leaders Jarvis Brook II to book their place in the semi finals, where they will have the chance to meet Copthorne II in the final as they won their semi 5–3 after extra time at Division Six side Lindfield III.

In the league there was just the one game and Ifield Edwards III completed the double over bottom side Newick II with a comfortable 4–0 home win. Steve Crawford, Danny Ibrahim and two from Stuart Stalker were on target for the home side.