Saturday 19 Match 2011: Round-Up


The juggernaut that is Dorking Wanderers rolls on ever faster and they left TD Shipley floundering in their wake as they handed out a six nil thrashing. Once Martin Merrett set Dorking on their way midway through the first half the goals simply flowed. Kevin Burgess made it 2–0 four minutes before the break and Matt Evans hit the third four minutes after. Jerome Beckles weighed in after an hour before Chris Williams added two more on 70 and 81 minutes. Newhaven improved their chances of booking the second promotion spot as they downed their close rivals Bosham 4–2. Mark Probert got the Dockers’ ball rolling after only four minutes but Bradley Miles equalised after 12. It was 2–1 to Newhaven at halftime following Dan Murray’s goal five minutes beforehand. Leon Smith brought the sides together again after 64 minutes but Luke Duchossoy gave his side the lead for the third time with a quarter hour remaining. Five minutes later a goal from Dan Flynn put the match beyond Bosham’s reach. Hurstpierpoint’s quest for a first ever promotion placing faltered as they were held 1–1 at Ferring. Hurst had taken the lead with a goal by Adam Horne ten minutes before the interval, but Jordan Clark hit back after 63 minutes and earned a point for Ferring. Barnham also suffered a set back as Broadbridge Heath won 3–1 to improve their chances of a return to the Second Division. Jamal Sultan hit a brace after six and 86 minutes with Martyn Flack scoring just before halftime. Mark Pedrick notched Barnham’s lone response ten minutes after the restart. Haywards Heath Town must contemplate a further season of Intermediate football as they went down by the odd goal in five at Pease Pottage Village. Heath actually led twice as Murray Coltham scored after just four minutes only for the lead to be cancelled out by Tom Familton midway through the first half. After an hour Joe Winn put the visitors ahead again but this time they were pegged back immediately by Jack Munday. Tiago Andrade scored the winner for Pottage after 70 minutes. Rottingdean Village secured another narrow win as they overcame Forest by a single goal. Giles Shepherd did the damage on 32 minutes. The day’s biggest win came at Hill Park as Saltdean United crushed struggling Sidlesham 7–0. Following Ebou Jallow’s 14th minute opener the Salts seemed happy to score twice whenever one goal might have been enough. Ryan Smith made it 2–0 on the stroke of halftime and Elliot Quant got the third just two minutes into the second half. When Quant scored his second after 74 minutes Jallow followed suit completing his double a minute later. Ten minutes after that Lee Pontin repeated the two goals in a minute trick and he got them both. After six consecutive defeats stretching back to early January Ifield Edwards finally found success as they defeated Uckfield Town 3–2 at Ifield Green. The goals all came in a rush with a double by Ifield’s Steve Martin (on 6 and 14 minutes) bracketing a response by Tom Swancott. Dane Smith notched a 22nd minute leveller, but The Villagers regained, and then retained, the lead after 34 minutes thanks to Lee Butcher’s goal.

Tuesday 22 March 2011:

Saltdean United moved up a couple of places to eighth following a 2–0 home win over fifth placed Barnham. Elliot Quant on 28 minutes and Matthew Fleming after 38 minutes scored the goals.

Wednesday 23 March 2011:

Rottingdean Village are through to the Division Three Challenge Cup Final thanks to a 2–1 win over Bosham after extra time at Shoreham FC. They will play the winners of the other semi final between Saltdean United and Pease?Pottage Village.


Dormansland Rockets’ Montgomery Cup semi final was abandoned after 72 minutes with Crawley Down III leading 3–2.

In the league Lewes Bridgeview opened up a five point lead at the top as they took advantage of Dormansland’s involvement in the Montgomery Cup, and beat Buxted 5–1 at home. C. Brown (2), R. Reed (2) and W. Woollard scoring for Lewes and the loan reply came courtesy of D. Patrick. Fourth placed Furnace Green Galaxy and fifth placed Turners Hill failed to make up much ground on the sides above them as they shared the points following a 1–1 draw at Ewhurst Place. Gareth Neathey scoring for Galaxy. In the days other game the bottom two sides Uckfield Town II and Franklands Village had to settle for a point apiece following a 0–0 draw at the Victoria Please Ground


In the Somerville Cup semi final Wivelsfield Green beat Division Four side Roffey II 4–1 on penalties after the sides were level at 0–0 after extra time. They will now meet another Division Four side, league leaders Ansty Sports & Social, in the final.

In the league the top two sides met and it was second placed Fairwarp who regained top spot thanks to a 2–0 away win at Copthorne II. Fourth placed Furnace Green Galaxy II missed the chance to close the gap at the top as they went down 2–1 at neighbours Ifield Edwards III. Iain McLean gave Ifield the lead three minutes into the second half, but Nick Holmes equalised 15 minutes from time. Ifield secured the points in the last minute through Grant Chase. Buxted II moved out of the bottom two as they beat Handcross Village 1–0 at home, the goal coming from R. Hudson. Newick II picked up their first league win at the sixteenth attempt as they beat Horley Wanderers 1–0 at home. J. Hawkes scoring the all important goal. That result sees Horley Wanderers drop into the bottom two.