Saturday 26 Match 2011: Round-Up


The turn up for the proverbial book came at Selsey Road where the runaway leaders Dorking Wanderers were restricted to 1–1 in their clash with struggling Sidlesham. Dorking must have thought they had won it as Chris Williams gave them the lead after 84 minutes, but the home side levelled on the stroke of full time through Andrew Chick.

The draw didn’t help second placed Newhaven as they conceded their match with fellow promotion hopefuls Hurstpierpoint by a single goal at The Fairfield. Harry Ranson dealt the killer blow with 15 minutes to go. As Hurst closed the gap to two points Bosham stayed in touch as they emerged narrow 2–1 winners following their trip to Ifield Edwards. The Villagers took a 12th minute lead through Luke Richardson only to be pegged back after 25 by Andy Carragher. Neil Thorp scored the winner for Bosham seconds after the resumption.

Barnham also stayed in touch as they hit the only goal of the game to defeat improving Rottingdean Village. Sam Enticott secured the win with his goal after 39 minutes.

Broadbridge Heath lost ground as they were held one all by Haywards Heath Town. Ben Bissett had given them the lead after 18 minutes, but Phil Turner equalised for the visitors on 32.

Draws predominated and Saltdean United were another side to take a point, although they may have hoped for more from their visit to stragglers Forest than sharing six goals. Ross Swaine gave Forest a 4th minute lead, but Ryan Smith levelled four minutes after that. Jake Holmes put the home side back in front after 32 minutes only for the Salts to respond with a quick double through Richard Watton (62) and Ebou Jallow on 66 minutes. Matt Merridew struck with two minutes left to force the draw.

Even a point would have pleased Ferring, but they were edged out by TD Shipley at Dragon’s Green by the odd goal in five. TD scored first through Mark Fiest after 28 minutes, but Carl Scrymgeour hit back on 35. Gary Pritchard restored the home side’s advantage five minute into the second half only for Ben McKenzie to cancel it out fifteen minutes later. A Ferring own goal finally gave TD?the points.

The final draw was at the Victoria Ground where home side Uckfield Town were held 1–1 by Pease Pottage Village. Kieron Purkis gave the visitors the lead after 28 minutes and Pottage held on until Tom Swancott’s leveller with twelve minutes remaining.

Tuesday 29 March 2011:

Hurstpierpoint failed to overtake Newhaven for second place as they were unable to get the better of TD Shipley and drew one all. Shane Redley put TD ahead on 28 minutes, but an own goal nine minutes from time gave Hurstpierpoint a share of the points.

Wednesday 30 March:

Saltdean Unted are through to the final of the Division Three Challenge Cup after beating Pease?Pottage Village 2–0 after extra time. Two late goals from Elliot Quant on 111 minutes and 115 minutes saw them through at Shoreham’s Middle Road ground. Saltdean will play Rottingdean Village in the final.


Dormansland Rockets will play Milford & Witley, who beat Bletchingley 1–0 in the other semi, in the final of the Surrey Intermediate Cup after beating Virginia Water 4–1 at home. L. Champion with a brace, A. Dart and N. Levett scored for Dormansland. Milford & Witley are currently second in the Surrey Intermediate Premier League. Lewes Bridgeview won through to the Montgomery Cup final after beating Division One side Burgess Hill Albion 3–1 at home thanks to a brace from R. Reed and one from G. Hunt. They will play either Turners Hill or Crawley Down III in the final.

In the league Turners Hill missed the chance to go fourth when they were hammered 6–1 at home by AFC?Ringmer. Franklands Village remain second bottom after drawing 2–2 at home with Old Varndeanians II, but they do move within a point of third bottom Ifield Edwards II who’s home game with Phoenix United was postponed as Ifield were unable to raise a side.

Tuesday 29 March 2011:

Dormansland Rockets closed to within two points of leaders Lewes Bridgeview after beating third placed Phoenix United 2–1 at home. Gerald Manville scored for Phoenix


Fairwarp have opened up a four point lead at the top of the table after beating Furnace Green Galaxy II 1–0 at home. Second placed Copthorne II lost ground as they were held 1–1 at home by Horley Wanderers. Third placed Wivelsfield Green are now seven points behind as they were surprisingly beaten 1–0 at Buxted II with M. Whittington scoring the only goal for the home side. Handcross Village move up to fourth thanks to a 6–0 home win over bottom side Newick II. S. Simmonds (3), J. Matthews (2) and A. Short getting the goals.

Wednesday 30 March 2011:

Wivelsfield Green put the disappointment of losing the Stratford Cup final to Copthorne II the week before to win the Somerville Challenge Cup after beating Division Four league leaders Ansty Sports & Social 3–1 at Leylands Park Burgess Hill.